Tool feed could not be downloaded or found locally

Topics: User Forum
Nov 28, 2006 at 8:34 AM
Hi, I get this error when I run PackInstallerBeta.exe. I'm guessing it's a firewall error. Can someone tell me where PackFeedBeta.xml can be found please?
Thanks, Alan

Coordinator
Nov 29, 2006 at 3:17 AM
Here's the direct URL to the Tool Feed.

http://www.codeplex.com/Project/FileDownload.aspx?ProjectName=PackInstaller&DownloadId=3794

It's attached directly to the main page of the WIKI for the project. There are two files listed on the Page Info link, so make sure you get the one I linked to above.
Save it to the folder where you've got PackInstallerBeta.exe and it should load it just fine. If you have trouble downloading tools also post a message here. Someone has put in a work item for fixing Proxy settings so that could also be part of the trouble. I run behind a firewall here and haven't had any troubles so far, but that doesn't mean there aren't trouble firewalls out there.
Nov 29, 2006 at 9:44 AM
Jeremy,
I applied the xml file.
Unfortunately, I now get
"The list of tools could not be downloaded. The last known good list will be used instead."
I guess I'll just have to wait until the proxy/firewall issues are resolved.
Thanks,
Alan
Coordinator
Nov 29, 2006 at 10:06 PM
The last known good list should be the one you just downloaded, which is up to date. There shouldn't be anything you're missing, as long as you can pick tools from the list it shows you and have them install.

Do you mind if I ask what hardware / software setup you have? Operating System, Firewall, etc.?
Nov 30, 2006 at 9:43 AM
Jeremy,
Windows XP Pro/SP2.
Dell Optiplex SX280 computer, P4, 2.8GHz, 2G RAM.
VS2005 v8.0.50727.42.
.Net framework 2.0.50727

Proxy is ISA server 2004.
Firewalls are Fortigate.

My firewall man has asked two questions:
- Does your software understand and work with proxies?
- What ports/protocols are you using?

Thanks,

Alan
Coordinator
Nov 30, 2006 at 7:15 PM
There is a fix posted, that hasn't been integrated yet into the code, for working with Proxies. The port used should be just the default HTTP port, we create an HttpWebRequest object and use that to bring down the download.

I'll see if I can't get the proxy code merged in today, and push the change set out to the site. It may be awhile before I can get an actual binary build released again, but I'll see what I can do.
Dec 1, 2006 at 8:08 AM
OK, thanks.
Where is the fix posted?
Also, where will any new versions end up?
Thanks,

Alan.
Coordinator
Dec 1, 2006 at 6:40 PM
The code for the fix is in the Issue Tracker, there's an item about Proxy support there. I'm waiting to hear back from the developer who submitted the fix before actually merging it into the codebase.

Any new versions of the tool will end up in the Releases tab. I think we will have a few more Beta releases as we add new features before a 1.0 release.