Can I customize Pack installer for "my appln + MS tool" ?

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Mar 1, 2007 at 1:30 PM
Hi,
I am trying to use ILMerge (http://research.microsoft.com/~mbarnett/ILMerge.aspx) in my application. Its a commercial application. On clarifying the redistribution terms with the tool development coordinator, I was advised that redistribution of ILMerge is not allowed directly but I can use Power Toys Pack installer instead.

I would like to know whether I can customize Pack Installer to install my appln + ILMerge from a LOCAL INSTALLATION PATH rather than Microsoft site. Is that acceptable or will I be violating any licensing terms? I do not want my clients to download ILMerge from MS because:
1) Cannot expect clients to be hooked on to the internet
2) If clients download ILMerge directly from MS, they might get a different version of the software which MAY not be compatible with the one i developed with.

Thanks in advance,
Venkat
Coordinator
Mar 7, 2007 at 10:46 PM
Sorry for taking so long to post a response. In general to be on the safe side of the licensing terms you should download ILMerge from MS each time. So you could use the Pack Installer method to go get the file and install it, but I'd be hesitant to say it's okay to put the ILMerge package inside your distributable. If Mike (I'm assuming that's who you talked to about ILMerge) wasn't able to give you the go ahead for shipping the package directly I'm not sure I can say anything different.

For your second point, we've recognized that's a problem. One of the new features coming in the 1.0 release (if it's not in the Beta already, my memory on when we added it isn't so great) is a check to make sure the download we get is the download we expect. While this wouldn't help you get an older version than the one provided, you'd at least be able to not install if you aren't sure the version is correct. To accomplish that we compute and check the MD5 hash of the downloaded file, and check it against the one that the feed file specifies should be correct.